"You talk as if a god had made the Machine.. Men made it, do not forget that. Great men, but men. The Machine is much, but it is not everything. I see something like you in this plate, but I do not see you. I hear something like you through this telephone, but I do not hear you. That is why I want you to come. Pay me a visit, so that we can meet face to face, and talk about the hopes that are in my mind."The machine stops - 1909 - Forster

Saturday, April 9, 2011

INTEGRATING TECHNOLOGY: embedding songs titles in a text




Lesson 1

Teacher: - Open your diary and write down homework for our next lesson -

 Teenagers grumbling.

Teacher: - Homework: look at your Ipod and make a playlist of your ten favourite songs in English -

Surprised teenagers grumbling.

Lesson  2

All the class have their homework.

Teacher: - Ok, now work in groups of three and, after looking at your classmates' titles, make a new playlist of ten songs. Then, write a text , something like "My day yesterday" , using the simple past and embedding the titles in the text in such a way that it sounds natural and meaningful. -

Smiling teenagers on task for one hour.

Lesson 3

Martino, aged 13 ( 21st century teenager  interested in music, arts and internet ) comes to lesson
with a memory stick .
- Teacher, have a look at this. I thought I could record my voice and let the music play in the gaps with the exact songs words. It took me all Sunday afternoon, but I did it! -

Martino's work displayed on IWB.
 

1) Playlist


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com



2) Audio text ( Martino's voice and musical gaps )



Listen!



3) Text

A Horrible Day - by Musical Martino


Teenagers clapping hands.

Who says teaching teenagers is hard? :)

No comments: